Tuesday, January 23, 2007

THE MOTHER OF ALL FUNERALS

Thanks for the kind words that some of you left in regards to the loss of my father. I really didn't want to write about anything to do about my dad's death, but I can't help myself but to do otherwise and throw in some few words about the funeral service because it was very special, uplifting and it was kind of funny that my old man was looking down and laughing his ass off.

It was supposed to be a small white family affair at a small Baltimore church until a bunch of DC cabs and a chartered bus full of misfits from DC managed to show up, thanks to the organizational skills of Mad Cabbie and Mr Hook. The room was full of mostly old white people until all hell broke loose and all the passengers off that bus entered the building. Cab drivers from different nationalities, managers from the cab company, hookers, pimps, some characters I don't think I ever met in my life and even a couple of homeless dudes that we knew over the years came to pay respect. You should have seen those poor old white folks from Bel Air Maryland on how confused and scared they were and asking themselves what the hell was going on and what are all these Negroes, foreigners and suspicious looking white dudes doing here. But you know what? When I saw all those people that I love and sometimes hate showed up at my father's funeral to be by my side, I felt all the love and all the sadness in me evaporated in to the thin air and I said to myself "Joe! everything is going to be all right!"

I would like to thank everyone who showed up that day and I hate this post sounding like an ass kissing session but I can't tell you enough on how thankful I am to Mad Cabbie who showed up at the hospital every single day and made my Dad laugh all way to the end. Thanks Mad!

Enough with the tears! Where are my transvestite passengers? The Pastor is on duty...

Peace,

Pastor Joe.

12 comments:

Peggy said...

God Bless Mad Cabbie! That is a wonderful story Joe. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Support can come from the most unexpected places.

kilgorsky said...

That's the spirit, Pastor. After my dad had passed away I was super depressed for two months. I don't think he'd have wanted me to be that way.

Must have felt great to all the folk up there with you.

Red said...

When I go that's how I want it. With my family wondering who all these people are.
These are the times when you see who your true friends are.
All my best to you!

Mad Cabbie said...

Stop blowing smoke up my ass the Holy Man! I was showing up everyday at the hospital just to force your old man to sign over that 1959 Chevy Impala of his to myself! but it didn't work:(

But all jokes aside, I had some of the greatest conversation ever during those visits and I think there are some things I see quite differently now. Your dad was a wise man, I just don't know what went wrong with you Pastor!

Welcome back Pastor Joe.

Eryn said...

Glad you're back PJ. I can't wait to hear what crazy shenanigans you'll be up to in the near future.

Anonymous said...

I was at the funeral pastor, I think it was more like a freak show than a funeral! and who were those hotties who left in the white town car pastor?

Half Nut!

Anonymous said...

I'm a long time lurker, out of the shadows to say sorry to hear your news. Nice ta have all those friends turn up but...
Respect,

june in florida said...

Funerals are for the living not the one who left.Sounds like your Dads life was well and truly celebrated.Hugs Pastor.

Anonymous said...

love shines in that story, pastor. my sympathy on your loss.

Peggy's mom

Anonymous said...

..so sorry for your loss.

Claire said...

Hey Pastor Joe,
At this difficult time, you are surrounded by friends, near and far, especially by one Mad organizer. lol. Your Dad is no longer in pain and is your guide now to hopefully keep you outta trouble. With love and sympathy,
Claire

SkippyMom said...

My heartfelt condolences Pastor. I think it is wonderful to see how loved/respected your Dad was. How lovely.
I really am sorry.
Hugs to you!