Saturday, September 15, 2018

A NATION OF CAB DRIVERS

I remember years ago when I met this girl at a club in Adams Morgan. Pretty face, smoking body, inviting personality, well read and funny too! We talked, danced, drank, talked and drank some more. I was so in to her I didn't want the night to be over, but after the last call I suggested that we go to the after hours underground club called The Bunker. I have written about this club on this blog before, it's a place where all the bartenders, waiters, hookers, strippers, hustlers, all the shady characters and even some cops go and visit to address their thirst and socialize. I really impressed her, she couldn't believe that a well oiled illegal operation existed stone throw away from the Capitol building that even some law enforcement individuals frequented. Armina was more impressed that every creep in that shit hole was chest bumping and high fiving me! I was like, if you only she knew that most of these misfits did time some prison in America. We had a great time until pretty much sunrise and agreed to meet up in a few days with Armina.

I was never shy to tell people that I was a proud DC cab driver even though my class of work is just one notch up from a garbage-man of a socioeconomic scale. Driving a cab in DC was lucrative back in the days, most cabbies weren't rich but they owned their own homes, went on vacations and sent their kids to college and some moved on in to other small businesses. These days I hear some DC cabbies are looking for food from a garbage cans, thanks to Uber! On our date the obvious question of "What do you do?" came up, and for the first time ever I was so unease to tell and talk about my pathetic profession. We were having dinner at the Spaghetti Gardens when the word 'cabdriver" came out of my mouth, Armina threw up all over my shirt and left! From time to time I ran in to her for years and we pretend we never met and knew each-other.

Fast forward fourteen years, I was having drinks with friends and it was time to go home and one of  my friends offered me a ride with his Uber request since I live on the way. My friend said "I think we have a chic driver called Armina!" How could I forget that name but not in a million years I thought it would be the same Armina from a decade and a half ago. When he showed me the picture of the driver on the app, there she was the same old Armina, middle aged and a little chubbier.

I didn't say 'Hey, you remember me bitch?" but it just made me think, how Uber successfully changed Americans in to cabdrivers and how the profession of cab driving that most of the American society looked down on, turned out to be a cool side gig? I really wanted to throw up on her ass but I didn't drink enough to do so.

Please don't forget the homeless,

Mad Cabbie.



4 comments:

M88 said...

Mad,
How are you?
You may remember me from way back when. I went under a handle of MJ06.
Way back from 2006. Since then I graduated high school and became an adult LOL!

I have a question for you or a couple of them at least. What is the current state of the DC Taxi Industry especially in this day and age of ride share apps and things of that nature.

I went through the older posts here and it looks like in 2013 The DC Cab Commission really went and tried to homogenize the DC cab scene. I don't really get it, ride share companies can operate pretty much unregulated, but the cabs have to be regulated to death.

If I am understanding correctly any one with "H tags" who turned them in like you did had there tags revoked and couldn't get them back.

Is you're old company Diamond Cab Still in business and are they what they used to be or are they just a shell of what they used to be?

It sounds to me from my readings on here, that Washington DC stopped issuing cab plates and basically that was it for both owner operators and fleets you couldn't get plates. Do you still own you're 1996 Chevy Caprice? Do you still have it painted in Diamond Liver and did you have to have one of those new $500.00 roof lamps installed?

Did Washington DC ever crack down on vehicle ages either? I remember you saying they had vehicle age restrictions, but it was never enforced for some reason or another.

Here in Cleveland, Ohio our cab industry is almost non-existant. It's a shell of it's self Cleveland Yellow Cab the largest cab company in the state went out of business a year ago and other smaller fleets that were prevalent 10 years ago have since disintegrated. Most of the cab companies here in Cleveland the major big ones South West, Westlake, Yellow/Zone, Ameri Cab, Airport and United all of them either gone or majorly down sized. South West went under, Yellow/Zone went under, Airport is gone and United is way down sized.

I know the past few years haven't been good for the cab industry it's taken a major beating for sure.

Anonymous said...

D.C. cabs are still overregulated while FUBaR and GrYFT do whatever they want.

People still do use cabs here. Uber even offers taxis here (which they do not anywhere in Ohio).

For quite some time, you could not get an H-plate if you turned in yours. Now, if you will operate a pure electric, hybrid or accessible, you can get an H-Plate. Those who never gave up their H-plates can continue to operate gasolene powered vehicles.

Those third world top light cost a total of two-hundred fifty dollars, including labour for installation. What is funny is that the DFHV (successor to the Taxicab Commission) has now allowed drivers to go back to the old style top lights, although unique ones (as Diamond had) are no longer allowed,


Diamond is still in business, although it is a wonder that it is. The Senior stockholder died in 2014. His heirs and the other stockholders sold it off to this guy who does not know what he is doing. The whole dispatch and insurance thing is a mess there. I left them in 2013. It is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

There is an eight year age limit and nothing older than five years can start in service as a cab. You can apply for an extension up to three years, but, there are conditions. Generally, if the car is allright, they will give you an extra year.

Meanwhile, welcome back, Mad Cabbie, although I see that it has been some months. Someone told me the other day that you had been back briefly.

Nicole Short said...

Great reading yyour blog post

Trivexa said...

I, affectingly, must identify with Diet Pills. Through what agency do pundits accomplish bargain Diet Pills goods? Do you want to go back on looking like I'm burdened? Take a glance around the room you're in. Unquestionably, I guess I have made my intentions quite clear. Now, the results could be noticed everywhere. A lot of what you've heard might sound confusing. Everyone hates a boring Diet Pills. This is totally untouched.

https://www.offerplox.com/weight-loss/trivexa-reviews/

https://www.offerplox.com/weight-loss/progenifix-reviews/
https://www.offerplox.com/skin-care/amarose-skin/
https://www.offerplox.com/skin-care/skincell-advanced/
https://www.offerplox.com/cbd-products/proper-cbd-gummies/
https://www.nutraket.com/lets-keto-gummies/
https://www.nutraket.com/slim-candy-keto-gummies/
https://www.claimhealthy.com/lifetime-keto-gummies/
https://www.claimhealthy.com/power-vigor-me-gummies/